Saturday, May 30, 2009

Second hand clothing saves on the environment

Hi,

I had been on a contest with myself to see if I could purchase all my clothing second hand so as not to place a demand for new products on the environment.

I have had very good luck with this. I often get compliments on my clothes.

This spring while at a Ecumenical Advocacy Days I told another UMW member about this. She didn't like the idea because she had to wear second hand clothes as a child. She said they didn't fit right and often were smelly.

Well, I do have rules about purchasing second hand.

  • The must fit and be comfortable
  • There can't be anything wrong with them. No spots, stains and certainly not smelly
Wow, that certainly got this off on a sour note.

Another rule is that I know designer tags when I see them. I always look at the tag and see who made the clothing and what the fabric is made of. Usually a well made designer piece of clothing will last a long time. And you will feel proud to wear it.

Yesterday I purchased some new clothing for the first time in about three years. The only other new items I had purchased was two hats. (I am a hat lady.)

1 comment:

Carol said...

I first discovered organic cotton clothes when I worked at Hanna Andersson's. Their infant line was Eco-tech organic cotton, so they not only used organic cotton, but all the snaps, velcro, thread etc. was approved too.
Those baby clothes were the soften cotton i've ever felt. Here is their website:
http://www.hannaandersson.com/home.asp

One of the selling points was pediatricians recommended Hannas for children with skin allergies, so that tells you something about cotton manufacturing.