Here is a post on Twilight Earth:
The 10 Best Ways to Give Up Carbon for Lent.
10. Get a cloth sack
9. Give the dishwasher a break -
8. Fill your plates - What plates are those? Light switches and plug plates!
7. Don’t let it shine - “Oh Honey! You turned down the lights! How romantic!”
6. The Secret Sister of the Recycle, Reuse and Reduce triplets -Let me introduce you to Precycling! Simply put, Precycling is the act of “not purchasing” something that would otherwise be Recycled or thrown into a landfill.
5. Eat Slow, Joe - Fast foods are Carbon intensive.
4. Got a Bounty of Brawny Scott’s in your kitchen? Give’em the boot! -
3. Wean yourself off the bottle - No, not that bottle, this bottle.
2. Don’t be Latte for work - How much water goes into that single Latte you buy on the way to work? 50 Gallons! Check out this video.
And the number 1 thing you can do to give up carbon for Lent? Give up Beef! For every 1 pound of beef that you eat, you are also consuming 7lbs of grain, and 2,500 gallons of water. Not to mention about 270 antibiotic injections. 1lb of beef also produces the carbon equivalent of driving a car at 60 miles an hour for 200 miles or burning a 100 watt bulb continuously for 20 years.
Our pastor is giving up red meat for Lent because he wants to lessen his carbon footprint.
You may read more about the effects of meat production on the environment here at:
Beef Effects on People, the Environment and Society.