Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Purchase grass-fed beef at a farmers market






Eat locally grown food.
This ground beef was purchased at the Farmers Market in East Hillside from Green Pastures. Green Pastures Dairy is located in Carlton, Minn. and the cattle eat grass.

It is kinda expensive, but most Americans eat too much red meat. I made hamburgers tonight. It would have been easy for my husband to eat a one-half pound burger, but I made him a quarter-pounder and made sure he had lots of extras to fill him up.

Learn more about grass-fed beef at Eat Wild.

Green Pastures will be having an open house on Aug. 2nd.





Here is their contact information:
Green Pastures Dairy
2353 Bromfield Road
Carlton, MN 55718
(218) 384-4513
cheese@greenpasturesdairy.com

We also sell our products at the Duluth Farmers Markets every Saturday,
from June through October.

Duluth Farmers Market
14th Ave. E. & 3rd St.
7:00 AM - 12:00 PM

1 comment:

Ryan Lue said...

I dig this. Local anything is at the core of sustainability. I remember I once bought white cheddar from grass-fed cows at Trader Joe's and gave myself a pat on the back, then quickly rescinded it when I realized that it was imported from New Zealand.

Funny, though--I just arrived in Taiwan yesterday morning (my first time in Asia), and from everything I can tell, sustainable agriculture and environmentally conscientious lifestyle choices are not marketable (or marketed) practices here. Maybe the meat has always been raised locally here--after all, on an island this small, how far away can it come from, anyway?--but either way, it's not something people talk about. I'm very much in the dark, but until I speak the language better, I'm just going to do as the Romans do.

--Ryan
http://sinkorswim.vox.com/

P.S. Yes, I am still riding my bike most places. I've just rebuilt an old motorcycle; it's a big compromise, but I don't ride it much, and it should stave off the pressure to drive long enough for me to graduate and try living and riding in Amsterdam for awhile.